Women with complicated or high-risk pregnancies usually see a Fetal Medicine Doctor in Faridabad. These doctors are obstetricians who have also completed three additional years of training in high-risk pregnancy. They are also known as perinatologists or high-risk pregnancy doctors.
What Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist Does
An MFM doctor:
- Women with high-risk pregnancies receive regular prenatal care.
- Aids the mother in managing her existing health problems, such as diabetes and hypertension.
- Provides care for women experiencing complications during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Performs tests and procedures, such as ultrasound, to monitor your baby’s growth and development.
- Testing for birth defects and genetic disorders with tests such as amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS), and umbilical cord sampling.
- In addition to diagnosing and treating birth defects, heart problems, and blood disorders in a developing baby, you may also perform surgery if necessary.
- Monitors labor and assists with delivery.
- Manages any health issues the mother has after pregnancy, such as excessive bleeding, infections, or high blood pressure.
- Provides recommendations for future pregnancies.
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist may be able to help
If you have a high-risk pregnancy or are worried about having a healthy pregnancy and delivery, you may visit an MFM doctor. High-risk pregnancies include:
- Prior to becoming pregnant, you may have had heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, seizure disorders, blood clotting disorders, or infections (such as HIV, cytomegalovirus, or parvovirus).
- In the past, you have experienced pregnancy problems, such as preterm birth.
- You are expecting twins, triplets, or more children.
You can also reach out to your Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist if:
- Special tests or procedures are required.
- If you are pregnant or if your baby has a health problem.
- If your baby has a birth defect or other abnormal finding on ultrasound.
An MFM specialist can help you feel confident that your baby and you are getting the best care during your pregnancy.
How to Choose a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist For You
Choosing an MFM specialist to provide your prenatal care is important if you are experiencing a high-risk pregnancy.
A few MFM specialists can be referred to you by your OB, family doctor, or midwife. You can use this list of questions to find the MFM specialist who’s right for you:
- Is the doctor’s reputation good?
- How long has the MFM specialist been practicing?
- Is the MFM specialist comfortable with managing pain during labor?
- Do you agree with the opinion of the MFM specialist regarding when to induce labor or perform a C-section?
- Does the doctor listen to what you say and explain things clearly?
- Can the MFM specialist visit you around your due date?
- Would a maternal-fetal medicine doctor deliver my baby or would my primary OB/GYN?
- Is an MFM specialist available when my primary doctor is not?
- Can you meet with another doctor before you deliver the baby?
- Is the staff friendly and helpful?
- How convenient is the location?
- How are emergencies handled outside of normal business hours?