It can be nerve-racking to bring a baby into the world, but the entire experience can be overwhelming. No matter what type of pregnancy a woman is having, she will do almost anything to make sure her little one is safe and provides her with a nurturing environment.
As a parent-to-be, it is only natural that you have a million questions running through your head, especially when you are carrying a high-risk pregnancy. Hold on, mom! There are people who are professionals available to guide and help you through every step. Have you heard of MFM specialists? If not, then read on!
What is the role of an MFM specialist?
MFM specialists or high-risk pregnancy doctors are healthcare professionals who help pregnant women deal with complicated or high-risk pregnancies.
In high-risk pregnancies, MFM specialists undergo three extra years of training to provide extra comfort and care to the mothers. It is a high-risk pregnancy if you have twins, triplets, or quadruplets; having an MFM specialist on your medical team can help a lot. To find a maternity specialist near you, just Google “maternal-fetal specialist near me”.
How do high-risk pregnancies differ?
High-risk pregnancies include pregnancy and delivery that are at an elevated risk of health complications. Risks can be caused by many factors, such as:
- Mother’s age
- Mother’s medical history
- Multiple pregnancies (pregnant with twins or triplets)
- Current lifestyle
- Medical history
Therefore, it is important to monitor or care for the pregnant woman throughout the pregnancy. A medical team that understands the risk factors and takes care of the mother and baby can achieve this. A medical specialist who specializes in MFM could offer valuable insights regarding the health of the mother and child.
Who is a Maternal-Fetal Medicine doctor?
The following are the functions of an MFM doctor:
- Their role is to manage the existing health problems of the mothers, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, anemia, etc.
- Provides prenatal and postnatal care to women at high risk of complications during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Women who suffer complications while pregnant or having a baby receive emotional and psychological care.
- Provides care to the mother (postpartum) for issues such as excessive bleeding, swellings, infections, or high blood pressure.
- All tests and procedures (such as ultrasound, blood tests, etc.) are performed to monitor the baby’s health and development.
- Doctors who practice MFM are experts in monitoring labor, assisting with the delivery, and caring for newborns after birth.
- It helps identify and treat birth defects in developing babies (including performing surgery if necessary) like heart defects and blood disorders.
- By performing tests like amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS), and umbilical cord sampling, genetic counselors identify risks like birth defects and genetic disorders to inform future pregnancies.
What are the signs or symptoms that may indicate a high-risk pregnancy?
During a high-risk pregnancy, you should watch out for the following signs or symptoms:
- Blurred vision or weakness
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Pain or burning when urinating
- Severe headaches
- Constant contractions or lower abdominal cramps
- Slow fetal movement
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should contact your health care provider immediately.
Why should parents-to-be seek the services of an MFM doctor?
A healthy lifestyle and regular medical checkups are of the utmost importance to the mother and her baby, regardless of whether she is going through a normal or high-risk pregnancy. A regular opinion from a professional can also provide health and happiness during difficult times like these.
Therefore, if you feel that times are difficult, we suggest you seek assistance from Dr. Mamta Phogat – a maternal-fetal specialist near me as soon as possible.